Last Thursday, the dice were cast for students from various universities who were taking part in a contest organised by the Royal Belgian Football Association, the Memorial Van Damme and the City of Brussels. The virtual awards ceremony took place in Genk, with the award winners in each of the categories announced by Kevin Borlée, Benoit Hellings, Cédric Van Branteghem, Roberto Martinez and Peter Bossaert.
The Royal Belgian Football Association, the City of Brussels and the Memorial Van Damme organised a contest to decide who would renovate the King Baudouin Stadium: the Golden Generation Awards. They invited the world of academia (Faculties of Architecture, Engineering and Construction Techniques) to submit creative ideas for the design of the new temple to sport.
The Golden Generation Arena will be the home of both the Red Devils and the Red Flames. The Memorial Van Damme will also take place at the renovated King Baudouin Stadium, as will large-scale open-air concerts and European football and athletics finals.
Last Thursday, the dice were cast for students from various universities who were taking part in the contest. The Golden Generation Arena Awards took place online from a studio in Genk. The award winners in each of the categories were announced by Kevin Borlée, Benoit Hellings, Cédric Van Branteghem, Roberto Martinez and Peter Bossaert.
Winners by category
- Fan Experience: UHASSELT for the ‘FOOTBALL BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER’ project
- Sustainability: UA GROENENBORG for the ‘WATER CAPTATION’ project
- Hybrid Functions: UGENT for the ‘MODULAR SEATS’ project
- Overall Design: UMONS for the ‘DMH GOLDEN GENERATION ARENA’ project
- Jury Prize: UA MUTSAARD for the ‘EKS GOLDEN GENERATION ARENA’ project
All students who took part in the projects will be entitled to:
- attend a RED DEVILS match, including a MEET & GREET with the players.
- attend the next MEMORIAL VAN DAMME event, including a MEET & GREET with the athletes.
Watch the full awards ceremony again below.