In 2019, the total sales figures of bicycles in Belgium have increased compared to last year and are estimated at a value of about 509,900 bicycles (last year: 485,400 bicycles). Estimated production figures of bicycles in Belgium have dropped somewhat compared to last year.
The import figures for bicycles have strongly decreased in 2019 compared to the past years but was still around +11% higher compared to the figures of 2015. Looking at the corresponding turnover of the total sales, this figure has again increased, with almost 18% compared to last year. The average sale price of bicycles produced in Belgium was had somewhat decreased in 2018 but has now again increased, compared with last year’s figures.
Looking at the segment of electric bicycles, this market has been increasing year after year and had reached a sales figure of 250 000 electric bicycles in 2018. In 2019 the sales of electric bicycles have reached a level of nearly 240 000 electric bicycles, which is still an increase of 10% compared to 2017 figures. The average sales price of an electric bicycle has risen with +9% compared to last year, up to 2 588€ (source: Velofollies and Shimano Benelux).
The new speed pedelecs category is growing strongly in Belgium with a total fleet of over 29 000 speed pedelecs at the end of 2019, with almost 12 700 new registrations in 2019. This is an increase of the number of new registrations with +45% compared to last year. This new kind of electric two-wheeler with a speed up to 45 km/h is becoming more and more popular in the Flanders Region in particular. This is certainly an interesting new segment to be followed up.
Source: Velofollies and Shimano Benelux
Registrations speed pedelecs Belgium (source: Vlaamse overheid – Departement Omgeving & FOD Mobility and Transport)
Further, the trends in the Belgian bicycle industry are:
- a strong focus on high end quality products in order to differentiate from cheaper imported bicycles;
- customization of bicycles with local assembly that allows for shorter lead times at lower volumes;
- Belgian bicycle industry is also becoming more specialized in a certain segment of the bicycle market;
- clearly an important increase of electric bicycles also targeting a younger public than before (especially for the age category between 30 and 50 years);
- increasing use of bicycles for commuting;
- increasing importance of the business-to-business market with professional bicycle fleets and bicycle leasing models.
The latter one allowing new recurrent business models also for the local dealer networks. Nearly all dealers in Belgium offer electric bicycles and 1 out of 2 bicycles sold in 2019 in Belgium through this dealer network, have an electric drive.
Around 30% of the dealers now offer 2nd hand bicycles.
Less than 10% of the local dealers have invested in online shopping platforms whereas in other markets this is becoming more and more important.
The category of speed-pedelecs is gaining more and more popularity in Belgium with very strong growth figures.